Honeyworks Is All the Buzz at Wednesday Markets
Honey, the sweet nectar that nature gives us is not only delicious, it is also nutritious. Did you know high-quality honey, the kind you can find at Honeyworks at our Wednesday markets is bursting with antioxidants? Antioxidants have been linked to a reduced risk of heart attacks, strokes and some types of cancer.
Honeyworks comes to us from Grayslake and beekeeper and farmer Colin Ley tells us he began farming to affect positive change in our local ecosystems. Colin tends 150 honey bee colonies and farms just under two acres. Colin tells us, “farming is very therapeutic; the energy spent nurturing life from seed to harvest is returned so that we can sustain a healthy lifestyle.”
Honeyworks is MOSA organic certified. Colin says they chose organic as their certification because they believe organic farming principles are key to good stewardship. “Building healthy soils is important, so that we may pass on healthier soils than we inherited to the next generation of farmers.”
So true Colin, and oh so sweet!
We think their products are the “bee's knees”, they have herbal salve, lip balm, beeswax bars, raw honey, creamed honey, honey sticks, wax candles and you can even buy your own beekeeper supplies from them.
As for what is new and what Honeyworks is excited about this year? They tell us they will participate in growing the nations first federally legal hemp crop since WWII. Most notably our Sour Space Candy variety, a beautiful flower with otherworldly aromas. Stay tuned.
- We're movin' on up! New space = more deliveries
- Thursday, September 24, 2020
- Get a taste of Mick Klug Farm at Bang Bang Pie & Biscuits
- Wednesday, September 23, 2020
- 8 Tips for Fighting Food Waste at Home
- Monday, September 14, 2020
- National Eat Local Day, Sept. 22, Urges Restaurants and Consumers to Prepare Locally Sourced Meals
- Thursday, September 10, 2020
- WGN Lunchbreak: How To Use Farmer's Market Veggies In A Cold Soup
- Thursday, August 20, 2020
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »