Honeyworks Is All the Buzz at Wednesday Markets
Honey, the sweet nectar that nature gives us is not only delicious, it is also nutritious. Did you know high-quality honey, the kind you can find at Honeyworks at our Wednesday markets is bursting with antioxidants? Antioxidants have been linked to a reduced risk of heart attacks, strokes and some types of cancer.
Honeyworks comes to us from Grayslake and beekeeper and farmer Colin Ley tells us he began farming to affect positive change in our local ecosystems. Colin tends 150 honey bee colonies and farms just under two acres. Colin tells us, “farming is very therapeutic; the energy spent nurturing life from seed to harvest is returned so that we can sustain a healthy lifestyle.”
Honeyworks is MOSA organic certified. Colin says they chose organic as their certification because they believe organic farming principles are key to good stewardship. “Building healthy soils is important, so that we may pass on healthier soils than we inherited to the next generation of farmers.”
So true Colin, and oh so sweet!
We think their products are the “bee's knees”, they have herbal salve, lip balm, beeswax bars, raw honey, creamed honey, honey sticks, wax candles and you can even buy your own beekeeper supplies from them.
As for what is new and what Honeyworks is excited about this year? They tell us they will participate in growing the nations first federally legal hemp crop since WWII. Most notably our Sour Space Candy variety, a beautiful flower with otherworldly aromas. Stay tuned.
- Watch: The Kids of Von Linne Make Empanadas!
- Friday, January 17, 2020
- "I don't think most people are aware you can do this": GCM Linking Up for Food Access
- Wednesday, December 18, 2019
- "Edible Education changed my lifestyle and my values": GCM Educating the Next Generation of Eaters
- Friday, December 13, 2019
- All Hail the Tomato: Tomato Bliss' Path to Market
- Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- Find the perfect host gift (or treat yourself) at Green City Market
- Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »