Whether you're a devout vegan, simply trying to cut down on meat in small ways, or having a hard time finding traditional chorizo at the store, this tofu chorizo is the perfect taco filling! Call it whatever you want (tofu-zo?), but this meat-free number is a crowd-pleaser and a great way to switch up your typical taco night.
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 blocks firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onion. Saute for 5 minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add tofu and saute an additional 10 minutes, until tofu begins to brown and crisp. Be sure to stir often so that the tofu doesn’t stick.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, until tofu is fragrant. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve as your favorite taco filling, over rice or as any meat replacement.
Yield: 4 servings.