Tomato and Ricotta Salad
Rick Ohlemacher of Free Rein
- 4-6 heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes,halved
- 2-3 small arrortedcucumbers
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- White balsamic vinaigrette
- Black garlic aioli
- Croutons, any style
- Make ricotta, black garlicaioliandwhite balsamic vinaigrette and set aside.
- Season the heirloom tomatoes with salt.
- In a bowl, dress the cherry tomatoes and cucumbers in white balsamic vinaigrette, add salt and basil. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add croutons.
- Spread aspoonful of ricotta on the plate.
- Place heirloom tomatoes in ricotta.
- Place dot of black garlic aioli between tomatoes.
- Spoon thedressed cherry tomato,cucumber and crouton mixture over the top.
- Drizzle with white balsamic vinegar.
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 2 cupts buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a pot, slowly bring all ingredients to 195 degrees stirring occasionally to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the fresh cheese through a sieve lined with damp cheese cloth. Leave to drain for 20 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt, lemon zest and black pepper.
White Balsamic Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 390g Blended Oil
- 200g White Balsamic Vinegar
- Combine oil, vinegar and salt to taste.
Black Garlic Aioli Ingredients:
- 2 egg yolks
- 15g Dijon mustard
- 25g yuzu juice
- 15g mirin
- 80g black garlic, peeled
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2g black pepper
- 40g water
- 10g white balsamic vinegar
- 30g cuttlefish oil
- 280g canola oil
- Place all ingredients in robot coupe excpet for canola oil and half of the water.
- Blend together and slowy add half of the canola oil in a steady stream.
- Once half of the canola oil is in, add the remaining water, followed by remaining canola oil.