Sauteed Greens with White Beans and Toasted Bread
By Dana Benigno- Chicagocooks.com, a website connecting you to culinary resources and organizations in Chicago.
This dish is perfect with any kind of meat or you could turn it into a soup by placing the greens in a bowl, and pouring 1 1/2 cups of hot chicken or vegetable broth over the top.
- 1 cup of bread torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 4 cups of chopped greens such as spinach, kale, chard, or a mixture of the three
- 1 cup of drained and rinsed cannellini beans (1 small can)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1. Place 1 tbs. of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the 1 clove garlic and heat until the garlic sizzles and begins to turn brown. Add the bread cubes and toast until crispy stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbs of olive oil and the remaining garlic to the pan and heat until it's hot. Add the greens and stir until they are just wilted. Stir in the beans and season with the salt and pepper. Squeeze the lemon juice over the top and stir to combine.
- When ready to serve place a portion of the greens on a plate and top with some of the croutons.