Three Sister Corn Cake with Green City Seasonal Fruit
Chef Edward Kim
Demonstrated at Green City Market's Chef Demo on 9/29/16 by Chef Edward Kim of Ruxbin
Recipe is for approximately 6 servings
- 1 Cup Three Sisters Coarse white cornmeal
- 1 Cup flour or (1 to 1 gluten free flour)
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 2 ea Whole eggs, mixed
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
1. Mix all dry ingredients together.
2. Bring butter up to temperature in a cold saute pan, raising the temperature to high until brown bits form, then add the brown butter to the dry ingredients, mix well.
3. Add eggs and buttermilk to mixture.
4. With spoon, mix batter until it just comes together, batter should look lumpy, like pancake batter.
5. Pour into a buttered or sprayed pan 9”x9” and bake at 350 F for 40 minutes total (rotate the pan halfway through)
Apple Cider Syrup
- 1 Cup Apple Cider
- ½ C Brown Sugar
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg, ground
1. Combine ingredients into a saucepan or pot, cook at high heat until reduced to nappe(thick enough to coat the back of a spoon).
Gather enough seasonal fruit so you have roughly a quarter cup of chopped fruit for your dessert. In September you’ll have your choice of wonderful stone fruit that’s in season such as plums, nectarines, and peaches that are nearing the end of their run, local grapes are a fun addition, and apples are plentiful.
1. Wash your fruit, and cut them right before serving your dessert to reduce oxidization and maximize their freshness