Vendor Spotlight: Urban Challah
Kosher, unique, and absurdly delicious challah is everything you knead in bread. Brocha Benhiyoun, owner of Urban Challah, says she likes to put a playful and modern twist on an old classic and she does that each week by adding market fresh ingredients in her bread.
This week she will have strawberry challah with strawberries from market vendor, Seedling Farms. Benhiyoun has been kneading and braiding challah since she was a little girl.
“Challah has always played a huge part of my life coming from a Jewish family. At around eight years old, I became obsessed with learning how to braid and watched a tutorial around 100 times, until I mastered the six braid challah,” said Benhiyoun. “Today, I continue to bake challah every week. I always add a flavor twist and share it with my friends, neighbors, and family. I find it to be a bread that connects people,” said Benhiyoun.
What nonprofit does Urban Challah's sales support?
Chabad Lincoln Park - A local grassroots community whose mission is to create a non-judgemental Jewish experience for all. It offers adult education, Shabbat dinners, Babyccino (Mommy and Me), JUDA Hebrew Afterschool program, Jewish Teen Club, Depaul Student Group and much more.
What do you want people to know about you?
I want people to know that I love taking the time to get to know them. I enjoy meeting locals and connecting with them. I love to hear their feedback.
Why did you want to be a part of Green City Market?
I love the market's mission of sustainability and of bringing fresh, local, and clean products to the neighborhood. And being a Floridian, being outdoors with fresh plants, produce, and baked goods feels like home.
- Watch: The Kids of Von Linne Make Empanadas!
- Friday, January 17, 2020
- "I don't think most people are aware you can do this": GCM Linking Up for Food Access
- Wednesday, December 18, 2019
- "Edible Education changed my lifestyle and my values": GCM Educating the Next Generation of Eaters
- Friday, December 13, 2019
- All Hail the Tomato: Tomato Bliss' Path to Market
- Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- Find the perfect host gift (or treat yourself) at Green City Market
- Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »