Grilled Cheese with Gai Ghee Butter
The Gai Ghee Butter Team
All ingredients in this recipe are available at Green City Market. This grilled cheese features one really awesome ingredient: the use of ghee instead of butter. Gai Ghee Butter has a nutty taste and doesn’t burn like butter when melted over the stovetop. Due to its high smoke point, it’ll toast the bread up to perfection and impart even more great flavor.
-The Gai Ghee Butter Team
- Eight 1/2-inch thick slices sourdough bread
- 12 ounces Monterey jack, farmhouse cheddar, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Gai Ghee Butter
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced, and drained on paper towels for 5 minutes
- Place 4 slices of bread on a cutting board. Lay half the cheese slices on the bread. Lay tomato on top of the cheese. Cover with the remaining cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread and press down slightly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and melt a tablespoon of the Gai Ghee Butter. Carefully place 2 of the sandwiches in the pan, and cook until the bread browns and the cheese is slightly melted, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the sandwiches with a spatula and add a small hazelnut-size piece of Gai Ghee Butter to the pan. Cook until the other side of the sandwiches is toasted and the cheese is melted, about 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Repeat with the other sandwiches. (If at any time the bread starts to brown too quickly, lower the heat to prevent the bread from scorching before the cheese melts.) Serve!