Spicy Tomato Soup
Soups & Sides
Little Chef recipe involvement:
Children ages 3-6: In a large bowl, squish tomatoes with hands before adding to the soup pot. Smell garlic before and after it has been crushed and compare the difference.
Children 7 and up: Complete this recipe with adult supervision.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or any neutral oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 tablespoon red chili flake
- 1 28oz can tomatoes, any variety (diced, whole, puree)
- Sprig of fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dry thyme (optional)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Yield: 4 servings
- Add oil to the bottom of a heavy bottomed pot. Add garlic, onion, and chili flake. Saute for 3 minutes, until onions just begin to turn translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes and thyme (if using) to the pot and bring to a simmer, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to slightly cool. Add tomato soup mixture to a blender and blend until completely smooth, being careful with the hot liquid. An immersion blender can also be used for this.
- Return soup to the bottom of the same pot and cook an additional 10 minutes. Add cream, if using and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or freeze for up to 2 months.
Tip: Save your vegetable scraps for vegetable stock later! Simply date and label a reusable zip lock bag and keep it in the freezer. Here, save onion and garlic skins.
Hint: If you don’t want this soup to be spicy, simply omit the chili flake!