Yield: 1 quart
- 2 sugar or pie pumpkins, halved with seeds scooped out
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup apple cider (or juice)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon clove
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut pumpkin into quarters and place on a baking dish and roast 45-50 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender when pierced with a knife.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Scoop flesh out into a bowl and puree in blender.
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.