Soups & Sides
- 1 ½ cups masa harina
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, lard or butter
- About 1 cup hot water, or more as needed
- Flour for kneading
- Combine the masa and salt in a bowl. Stir in the oil. Slowly steam in the water while mixing with your hand or a wooden spoon until the dough comes together into a ball.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until it is smooth and elastic (about 1-2 minutes). Wrap in plastic, and let it rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours.
- Break off pieces of the dough and lightly flour them. Put them between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, and press them in a tortilla press.
- Put a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Cook the tortillas, 1 to 2 at a time, until brown spots appear at the bottom (about 1 minute). Flip, and do the same to the other side.
- Wrap the cooked tortillas in a towel to keep them warm, or cool and store tightly wrapped in the fridge for a few days.
Yield: 12-16 tortillas.