Simple Tomato Salsa
Soups & Sides
"We’ve created a simple, super fast salsa recipe using many of the same ingredients used in our pinto bean salad, helping you to do double duty and get dinner on the table in no time! Don’t have fresh tomatoes? No problem! Use any canned or jarred tomato product that you have on hand — whole peeled tomatoes, diced or even stewed would work beautifully here."
Little Chef recipe involvement:
Kids ages 3-6: In a large bowl, squish the tomatoes with hands before adding to the blender. Once all of the ingredients have been added, blend the salsa with adult supervision.
Food for thought:
Ask your kids these questions while cooking this recipe!
- What other ingredients can be added to salsa? (Answer: beans, fresh or dried fruits, corn, to name a few.)
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ½ jalapeño, seeded, roughly chopped
- ¼ bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ onion, small dice, divided
- 1 lime, squeezed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add tomato, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro and half the amount of onion to a blender. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining onion and lime. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with black bean tacos or chips.
Yield: 1 cup.
Hint: Do double duty! Chop up enough like ingredients in both your salsa and bean salad recipe to have dinner on the table (with delicious accompaniments!) in a flash.
- Does the salsa taste flat? Try adding a bit more salt and acid!
- Leftover salsa can be frozen for up to 3 months.