Roasted Beet and Wheatberry Salad with Honey Vinaigrette
Chef Lisa Kalabokis
Yield: 4 servings
1 pound medium beets (4–5 beets)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
1 1/2 cups wheat berries
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon finely minced shallot or onion
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup packed flat-leaf parsley, mint or cilantro leaves
1/2 cup goat or feta cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Scrub beets thoroughly under cold water. Leaving them in their skin, wrap
them in foil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 45 minutes.
Unwrap beets and let sit until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Remove
skins and cut beets into thin wedges. Toss with cumin and mustard seed and set
3. Meanwhile, place wheat berries onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven for
10 minutes. Once cool, place in a medium saucepan and add water to cover by
3-4". Bring to a boil. Add a handful of kosher salt to the water, noting that it
should taste of the sea. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until wheat berries
are tender but still chewy, about 45 minutes.
4. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve and transfer wheat berries to a bowl to let cool.
5. Whisk oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, and shallot or onion in a small bowl.
Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Add beets and herbs to bowl with wheat berries. Drizzle vinaigrette over and
toss to evenly coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Add cheese and toss gently. Serve cold or at room temperature. This salad will
last in the fridge for up to 1 week.