Asparagus and Cured Whitefish Salad with Radishes, Fresh Herbs, and Spring Onion Aioli
Amalea Tshilds and Jason Hammel - Lulu Cafe
This recipe is from Amalea Tshilds and Jason Hammel of Lulu Cafe. Lulu is located at 2537 N. Kedzie Blvd., Chicago, IL, 773-489-9554.
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced on bias super thin
- 1 oz. cured whitefish, sliced thin (substitute smoked salmon or other preferred smoked or cured fish)
- 1 French red radish, shaved
- picked fresh herbs: arugula, micros, chives, parsley, mint, tarragon
- 1 spring onion, finely minced
- 1 stalk green garlic, finely minced
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp water
- olive oil
- juice of one lemon
- agrumato lemon oil
For the aioli:
- Combine the lemon juice, spring onion, and green garlic in a stainless or ceramic bowl.
- Add egg yolks and water and whisk to combine. Very slowly, one drop at a time, add olive oil while whisking continually. The mixture will begin to thicken.
- When it reaches the consistency of mayonnaise, add salt to taste and correct the flavor with additional lemon juice as needed.
- In a small bowl combine radish and fresh herbs. Lightly salt and add a drizzle of lemon oil. Mix gently.
- Combine whitefish and asparagus in a separate bowl. Dress with aioli.
- Place whitefish and asparagus salad on plate, then top with dressed salad.