Fall Harvest Whole Wheat Fettuccine
Green City Market Cookbook
Recipe submitted by Noe Sanchez, executive chef, Convito Cafe and Market, for the Green City Market Cookbook.
This flavorful recipe speaks of the Autumn harvest, when butternut squash is at its best. Whole-wheat pasta is a healthful, hearty option that is great for Fall.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, ply more for serving
- 4 cups peeled, seeded, and cubed (1/2 inch pieces) butternut squash
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 4 cups chopped leaks (white and light green parts)
- 4 cups packed baby spinach, coirsely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 oz. fresh whole wheat fettuccine (from Tuscan Hen Foods)
- 5 oz. creamy local goat cheese
In a large, deep saute pan over high heat, warm the oil. Add the squash and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Add the leaks and cook 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook 1 minute, tossing constantly, until the spinach is just wilted. Remove from the heat and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Prepare the fettuccine according to directions. Remove from the heat.
Drain the pasta and transfer it to 6 shallow bowls. Top with the squash mixture. Drizzle with additional olive oil and spoon generous dots of goat cheese over each serving. Serve warm.