Southwestern Mac and Cheese
Kurt Mittelberger - InterContinental Chicago
- 1 lb. elbow or small shell pasta, cooked
- 2 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 oz. monterey jack, shredded
- 2 oz. mascarpone
- 1 oz. white wine
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 oz. canadian bacon, diced
- 2 oz. conbread, already baked and crumbled into small pieces
- 1/2 of a roasted pablano pepper, diced
- 2 oz. corn
- 2 oz. spinach
- 1/2 of a jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 oz. onion, julienned
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Sautee onions in oil until lightly browned in a large saute pan.
- Add garlic, corns, jalapeno, pablano, cherry tomatoes and spinach-- Sautee for three minutes.
- Add in pasta (should already be cooked before this step)
- Next add in mascarpone, monterey jack and half of the cheddar cheese, allowing your mixture to simmer for a minute or so.
- Add in white wine, thyme and canadian bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take mixture and pour into large casserole dish.
- Top with crumbled cornbread and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Pop into oven (should be at 350 degrees) for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown.