Roasted Vegetable Hash with Farmers Market Eggs
Shannon Kinsella, Les Dames D'Escoffier of Chicago
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 large peeled beets, peeled, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into a ½-inch dice
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cleaned and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives, divided
- 4 large eggs, fried or poached
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss beets, sweet potatoes, and Brussels sprouts with olive oil. Roast on two large parchment lined baking sheets, stirring once after 15 minutes, cook until golden, 30-35 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp. Add the onion, cooking until it caramelizes; about 10 minutes.Stir in roasted vegetable mixture and 1 1/2 tablespoons of chives. Keep warm.
Poach or fry eggs. Divide roasted vegetables among four plates. Top with eggs and sprinkle with remaining chives.
- Substitute butternut squash for sweet potatoes if you like.
- Make the hash without the eggs and serve as a side dish with roasted chicken.
- Toss warm roasted vegetables with greens for a quick salad.
- Don’t have chives? Use cilantro or parsley.