Yield: 6-8 slices
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz fontina cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 2 oz gruyère cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces, or shave thinly with a vegetable peeler. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Stir in the fontina, gruyère, and reserved asparagus.
- Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake until lightly golden and set in the center when the pan is gently pushed, 40 to 45 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover it with foil to prevent it from burning.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for approximately 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. Quiche can be stored in refrigerator for 2 days.