Apple Pie Turnovers
Paula Haney of Hoosier Mama Pie Co.
Cream Cheese Dough Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1- 8 oz. package of cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
1. Combine all the ingredietns in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Using your hands, coat the butter and cream cheese cubes in flour. Pulse the mixer on and off until most of the butter and cfream cheese is reduced to the size of peas. Place a dishtowel or a piece of plastic wrap around the mixer so the dough cannot escape. turn the mixer to high and mix for 30 seconds, or until the dough comes together in 1 or 2 chunks.
2. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Remoe the dough from the mixer and knead into 2 smooth balls; flatten balls into discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator overnight before rolling.
3. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Dough should feel cool, not cold.
4. Generously dust the work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough out so it is 1/8 inch thick. Using a round pastry cutter or jar lid, punch out 4-5 inch diameter circles of dough.
5. Transfer the circles to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, using additional parchment in between layers if you are stacking them. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator ofr at least 30 minutes before filling.
6. Gather up any leftover dough scraps and knead into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disc and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
7. reroll the scrap dough and punch out more circles. Dough may be rerolled more than once.
Apple Filling Ingredients:
- 12 Cream Cheese Dough circles
- 2 medium apples
- 1/4 cup of Creme Fraiche
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1. Peel, core and chop the apples into a 1/4 inch dice. Place diced apples in to a small bowl.
2. Add the Creme Fraiche and sugar and mix until the apples are well coated.
Assembling and Baking Turnovers
- Cream Cheese Dough circles
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- Coarse-grained sugar, for coating
1. Remove the Cream Cheese Dough circles from the refrigerator or freezer. Set aside until the circles are warm enough to be pliable.
2. Bush a thin line of beaten egg whites along the edge of the dough circle.
3. Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling in the center of teh dough circle. Lift 3 points of the circle up until they meet in the middle. Pinch the points together to form a tri-cornered hat. Press along the seams to seal.
4. Place the turnovers, 2 inches apart, on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
6. Fill a shallow bowl or pie tin with coarse-grained sugar.
7. Remove the turnovers from the freezer.
8. Brush the 3 sides of each turnover with the beaten egg whites. With one hand, hold the turnover over the bowl of sugar. With the other hand, press the surgar onto each side of the turnover. Repeat until all the turnovers are well coated.
9. If the turnovers are still frozen, they may be baked immediately. If the turnovers have begun to thaw, return them to the freezer for 20-30 mins, until fully frozen.
10. Bake for 25-30 minuts, until the turnovers are dark golden brown.