Ina's Gingerbread Pancakes
Ina Pinkney - Ina's Restaurant
Makes 20 pancakes
This recipe comes from Ina, beter known as the breakfast queen and owner of Ina's restaurant. Ina's serves these pancakes on the weekends only. You can visit her restaurant at 1235 West Randolph Street, Chicago, IL 60607. 312-226-8227 www.breakfast queen.com. She recommends that you serve these with lemon cream and not syrup. The syrup can over-power the flavor of the pancakes.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup each - sugar, potato starch*
- 1 tsp each baking soda, ground ginger, ground cloves, dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbs molasses
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and stir until well blended.
- Combine all the wet ingredients and mix until well blended. Stir into flour mixture and blend well without over mixing.
- Heat oiled griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear on the tops - about 3 minutes. Turn over and cook about 1 minute more.
- Place pancakes, uncovered, on a oven-safe platter in the oven until all pancakes are made.
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 jar Robertson's Lemon Curd available in the jellies and jam section of grocery stores.
Ina says Robertson's Lemon Curd is her favorite and other brands she has tried were not as good.
Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold in the lemon curd to taste.
Place a portion of pancakes on a plate and top with a dollup of the lemon cream.