Oat Risotto with Wild Mushrooms and Kale
Heather Terhune, Sable Kitchen & Bar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 5 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup pecorino shavings
- 4 cups packed kale, thinly sliced
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup microgreens (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the leeks, garlic, and mushrooms cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the oats and cook for one minute. Add 1 cup of the stock and simmer over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until nearly absorbed. Continue cooking the oats, adding 1 cup of stock at a time and cooking until the liquid is nearly absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the oats are chewy tender and suspended in a thick sauce, about 25 minutes total.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in kale, 3/4 cup of the cheese and cook until the kale is wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer the risotto to bowls, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, drizzle with olive oil, top with the micro greens if using, and serve.