Autumn Vegetable Stuffing
Sarah Stegner and George Bumbaris - Prairie Grass Cafe
Soups & Sides
Serves 4-6 people as a side
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup celery root
- 1/2 cup parsnips
- 1 cup diced apples
- 1/2 cup diced butternut squash
- 1/2 cup chestnuts, cooked, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup whole chestnuts, cooked and peeled
- 2 cups chicken or turkey stock (intense flavor)
- 2 cups Bennison's Beguette chunky bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp sweet butter
- Salt & Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or clarified butter
- In a large pan, saute in olive oil the thyme, onions, celery root and parsnips until almost tender, stirring regularly.
- Add the apples, butternut squash and chestnuts. Continue to cook and stir until all the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer.
- Add the bread crumbs and butter. Mix well. Allow to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for twenty minutes or use as a replacement for any traditional stuffing.
Prairie Grass Cafe
601 Skokie Boulevard
Northbrook, IL 60062