Big Star's Taco de Yuba Guisado
Julie Warpinski of Big Star
2 lbs fresh yuba tofu skins
4 C. Guajillo tomato salsa- see recipe
2 Tbsp cooking oil
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tsp salt
2 C. yellow onion diced
1 C. cilantro ciffonaded
10 warmed corn tortillas
- Day before serving, brush 2 Cups of Guajillo Tomato Salsa over Yuba skins to marinate. Reserve remaining salsa. Allow to marinate 12-24 hours
- When ready to cook, preheat large pan or griddle. Once pan is hot, carefully add cooking oil.
- Place one Yuba sheet in pan, add some salt to taste and cook each side until browned. Remove from pan and allow to get cool to touch. Repeat process for all Yuba sheets. Set the pan to the side.
- Once Yuba is cooked and cooled, cut Yuba into ¼ inch slices. Make sure to cut pieces in half if they get too long.
- Wipe out pan or griddle and reheat. Add remaining oil. Once pan is hot, return Yuba to pan. Allow to brown once again and add remaining Guajillo tomato salsa. Cook until sauce sticks to Yuba. Season with lime juice and salt.
- Serve Yuba with warm corn tortillas, diced onion, and cilantro.
Guajillo Tomato Salsa
65 dried Guajillo chiles
2 yellow onions cleaned and quartered
3 garlic cloves
2 ¼ C. apple cider vinegar
2 ¼ C. water
5# canned tomatoes
½ C. sugar
3 Tbsp salt
- Clean all chiles of stems and seeds. In a large stockpot or bowl, cover chiles with boiling water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Remove chiles from water and discard the water
- Puree the chiles and rest of ingredients in a blender until a smooth puree is made- add more water if too thick.
- Add puree to a pot and simmer for about 30 minutes until the marinade is a dark, rich red color.
- Adjust for seasoning.