Posted Aug 19, 2022
On August 17, Jeannine Wise from Good Food is Good Medicine joined us for a culinary demo at GCM Lincoln Park. Jeannine demoed a recipe for Cabbage, Fennel, Carrot and Arugula Slaw/Salad with Citrus-Basil Dressing. Find the full recipe below.
- 2 c cabbage, julienne
- 1 c fennel bulb, juliennne
- 1/2 c carrot, julienne
- 2 c arugula
- Picked fennel fronds, for garnish
- Pepitas, roasted and salted for garnish
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- In a blender, make the dressing by combining the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, agave nectar, basil, garlic and a 1/2 teaspoon salt. Blend while slowly pouring in the olive oil.*
- Thoroughly mix julienne cabbage, fennel and carrots in a large mixing bowl. Pour in half the dressing and toss to coat. Taste to determine if you like the amount of dressing- add more to your preference.
- Next, softly fold in the arugula until just coated with dressing, and adjust for salt.
- Garnish with pepitas and fennel fronds.
- Serve on salad plates or in small bowls.
*Please note the Citrus-Basil dressing is directly borrowed with love and respect from Bryant Terry’s wonderful book “Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy and Creative African-American Cuisine” from page 65 (Chilled Citrus-Broccoli Salad).