Stocks and Securities
You can nourish Chicagoans for a lifetime with your gift of stocks and securities to Green City Market.
Donating appreciated securities such as stock, bonds, or mutual funds can be a very tax-efficient way to give. Generally speaking, if you donate stock (or other security) in which you have a long-term gain you can achieve the following benefits and tax advantages:
- An itemized tax deduction equal to the full market value of the appreciated stock
- No capital gains tax on the stock’s appreciation
- Your out-of-pocket cost is your cost basis in the stock only while Green City Market receives the full market value of the appreciated stock
Everyone’s tax situation is different, so please speak to your tax professional to confirm before making a donation of stock or other security.
How to Donate Stock
1) Notify your broker that you would like to donate shares to Green City Market using this form.
2) Contact Mandy Moody, Director of Development at email@example.com or call (773) 828-5246 to provide information about your gift.
When your stock is transferred to our account we do not receive any information that identifies you as the donor.
So please provide us your name, mailing address, phone, email, stock name, number of shares, intended gift amount, and expected date so we can thank you for your gift and provide you a confirmation letter for tax purposes.