Asparagus and Radish Salad
Bruce Sherman - North Pond
- 1 pound large Asparagus spears, bottoms peeled*
- 2 oz diced red radishes, diced*
- 1/3 cup finely diced shallots*
- 1 tablespoon minced chives*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley*
- 1 sprig chopped mint*
- 1 sprig chopped tarragon*
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- dash Tabasco
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Zest of ½ orange
- Salt & pepper to taste
*available at Green City Market
- Whisk red wine vinegar, sugar, pinch of salt and Tabasco together until dissolved, then pour over shallots. Let sit 20-30 minutes, then strain
- Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling, salted water, blanch asparagus spears about 2.5 minutes, until just tender. Then transfer to an ice water bath, chill, strain and set aside.
- Combine radishes with olive oil, orange zest, salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Then add in parsley, mint, and tarragon, and strained shallots, mix well. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Spoon radish mixture over asparagus spears and top with a small herb salad of extra chopped parsley, mint and tarragon.