« Back to recipes
Bruce Sherman - North Pond
Soups & Sides
Recipe from North Pond's chef/owner Bruce Sherman's Chef Demonstration at the market on Saturday, November 5th
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 medium leek, white bottoms thinly sliced, green tops reserved for another use
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 bartlett pears, peeled, cored, 1/2" dice
- 1/2 head fennel, cored, 1/2" dice
- 4 cups peeled, diced Celeriac (celery root)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup pear or apple cider
- 1.5 qt chicken or vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 bunch rosemary
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- salt and white pepper
For the soup:
- In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add leek whites, onions, celery root and fennel. Season then stir 3-5 minutes until softened
- Add pears and cook 3 more minutes
- Add wine and cook until completely reduced
- Add cider and rosemary and cook until liquid is reduced by approximately half
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream and cook for 5 minutes
- Taste broth and season with additional salt if necessary
- Remove and discard rosemary.
- Place mixture in blender and puree thoroughly. The mixture will be hot, so blend with caution by placing a towl over the opening in the lid. Or blend in pot with an immersion blender
- Pass through a fine mesh strainer and discard any solids (optional).
- Heat soup base to simmer, add butter and adjust consistency with cider and season to tast
- Garnish with such items as: bacon, cranberries, celery, smoked trout, pickled pears, crouton, edible flowers, etc.
Return to recipe listing »