Grilled Kale Salad with Strawberry, Pork Belly, Cheshire Cheese
Meg Colleran Sahs - Terzo Piano at the Art Institute of Chicago
Serves 4, appetizer portion
- 4 bunches young kale, washed and left whole
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 cup bacon, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup Cheshire cheese (or pressed ricotta cheese)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, roughly chopped
For Balsamic Vinaigrette*
- 3 T high quality balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1/3 lemon
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
*Yields more than needed for dish
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
On a plate or sheet pan, lay kale out and sprinkle liberally with oil, salt, and pepper. Move to the grill, cooking for about 1 minute on each side. Remove from the grill and cool.
Chop the kale into bit size pieces and move to a medium mixing bowl.
In a saute pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove from pan to a clean paper towel to drain. Pour off most of the bacon fat, leaving just a small amount in the pan (about 1 T).
Add strawberries and saute quickly, about 2 minutes, witha pinch of salt. Pour strawberries and cooking liquid over the kale.
Make vinaigrette - whisk together balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly emulsify the oil into the vinegar mixture. Taste for additional seasoning if needed.
Finish the salad by adding the salad dressing, pine nuts, and crispy bacon to the kale mixture. Toss all of the ingredients together, taste and serve.