Efrain Cuevas - Clandestino Supper Club
This version is vegan friendly, substituting cauliflower for fish.
- 2 heads cauliflower (Genesis Growers)
- 1 medium spanish yellow onion, diced (Genesis Growers)
- 6-8 serrano chiles, minced, optional - seeds removed for less heat (Genesis Growers)
- 4 large tomatoes, medium diced (Iron Creek Farms)
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed and discarded, leaves roughly chopped (Smits Farm)
- Lime juice
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Trim off the leaves and the stem of the cauliflower and discard, leaving only the florets. Snap the whole cauliflower into smaller florets and blanch in salted, boiling water for 6 minutes, until the cauliflower has softened slighly. Remove from the pot, drain, and place the cauliflower in cold ice water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, chop the florets to a small dice.
Place cauliflower in a non-reactive bowl, mix in the lime juice, refrigerate, and then allow to marinate and absorb the acid for at least 2 hours.
Combine the cauliflower with the tomato, onion, serrano chiles, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with corn tostadas and your favorite hot sauce.