Cucumber Salad Two Ways
Mary Abbott Hess, Les Dames D'Escoffier of Chicago
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 1 medium-size cucumber, about 12 ounces
- ½ cup plain yogurt, 2 to 5 percent milk fat
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Peel cucumber then dice or slice. Place in a bowl.
- Blend plain yogurt, chopped dill, salt and pepper in a medium bowl or refrigerator container.
- Add cucumber and mix so that the cucumber is coated. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving
Tangy Cucumber Salad
- 1 unpeeled English cucumber (12-to-14 ounces)
- ½ red or sweet onion
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Fresh chives or scallion greens, optional, for garnish
- Slice cucumber as thin as possible. Place slices in a bowl. Thinly slice half a red or sweet onion and add to cucumber slices.
- In another bowl, mix rice vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Pour marinade over cucumbers and onions; stir to mix well.
- Add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and mix. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 1 hour to pickle vegetables.
- Stir occasionally. Drain and discard liquids before serving. Garnish, if you wish, with snipped fresh chives or scallion greens.