Strawberry Rhurbarb Trifle in Mason Jars
"This easy-to-prepare dessert can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator. I love to bring it to picnics. Everyone gets their own jar. When finished, just put the tops back on and take the jars home!"
-Portia Belloc-Lowndes – Les Dames d’Escoffier Chicago Chapter
Makes: 4 pint-size Mason jars or 8half-pint jars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
- About 4 cups cubed angel food cake or pound cake, purchased or prepared at home
- 3 cups strawberries, rinsed, stems removed, sliced, divided
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb chunks
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ pint whipping cream, freshly whipped
- Fresh mint leaves
- Dice 1 ½ cups of the sliced strawberries and the rhubarb.
- Zest whole lemon; set aside. Squeeze lemon for 2 tablespoons juice; set aside.
- Place rhubarb, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. If mixture seems too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Add the 1 ½ cups diced strawberries. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Layer in each of the Mason jars: Cake cubes, strawberry-rhubarb mixture, whipping cream, fresh strawberry slices. Repeat.
- Put Mason jar lids on and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, top each with whipped cream, mint leaves and a little lemon zest.
Zero-waste tips + substitute suggestions:
- No cake? I have used day-old banana muffins and they added an extra twist.
- An alternate to whipped cream? Substitute home-made crème anglaise.
- Strawberries stored with stems stay firm longer than those without stems.
- Rinse strawberries in cold water only when you are ready to use them.
- If you don’t use fresh strawberries on the day you purchase them, refrigerate in shallow containers. They tend to mold faster if stacked atop each other.
- Can’t use them right away? Freeze them! Lightly rinse strawberries, let them dry on paper towels, remove stems then freeze on a cookie sheet. When frozen, transfer them to a zip-lock bag.