Roasted Asparagus Grain Bowl
Raeanne Sarazen — Les Dames d'Escoffier-Chicago Chapter
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked whole grains, such as quinoa
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
- Juice of large lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups fresh spinach (about 4 ounces), chopped
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place asparagus and pepper slices on a parchment or nonstick foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast vegetables until tender but still crisp, about 15 minutes. Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- Combine quinoa, feta, remaining olive oil, lemon juice, green onions, and ½ teaspoon salt in medium bowl.
- Divide grain mixture among individual bowls. Top with roasted asparagus, red pepper, spinach, and chickpeas. Or, add any leftover cooked protein (chicken breast, salmon, flank steak) or other fresh vegetables from your refrigerator!
Yield: 4 servings.