Soups & Sides
Ramp giardiniera is the best, most seasonal, spicy, tangy, crunchy, all-star condiment you never knew you needed until now. Put it on hot dogs! Eggs! Tacos! The world (or at least your pantry) is your oyster when you've got a jar of this bad boy on hand.
- 1# cleaned ramps, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- ½ cup green garlic, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup cauliflower, thinly sliced (use a mandolin if you have it)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (use a mandolin)
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon red chili flake
- Combine vegetables and pack into a jar or container with a tight fitting lid. Set aside.
- Boil vinegar with remaining ingredients: salt, sugar, peppercorns, bayleaf and red chili flake. Once boiling rapidly, pour over prepared vegetables until they are completely submerged by the brine.
- Cover the jar or container with lid and allow to come to room temperature. Store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
Yield: 1 quart.