Carrot Hummus with Homemade Pita Bread
Michael Elliott, Hearth Restaurant
Soups & Sides
Carrot Hummus Recipe
- 1 lb carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 tahini
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup carrot juice
- Salt to taste
- Place carrot in roasting pan with salt, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Roast until tender.
- Put everything but oil into food processor.
- Drizzle in oil as you puree.
- Season to taste.
Pita Bread Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 tablespoon wheat flour
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- Place yeast, wheat flour, sugar, and water in a bowl. Mix, cover with plastic and keep warm for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place in oiled bowl, cover and allow to double in size in a warm area.
- Punch down and portion into 10 equal balls.
- Place a pizza stone in oven for 20 minutes (cast iron pan will work as well)
- With a rolling pin roll into 1/8 inch thick circle
- Put on the pizza stone and cook for 90 seconds.