Frozen Berry Jam
Freezer Berry Jam
Yield: 3 pints
4 cups frozen berries, any variety
4 cups sugar, preferably raw
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Pinch of kosher salt
- Prepare a water bath canner and sterilize 3 pint jars.
- Place the frozen berries in a heavy-bottomed pot and set it over low heat. As the berries defrost, they will begin to weep, creating liquid in the bottom of the pan. Continue to stir, turning up the heat as the juices begin to overtake the solid berries. Bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and continue to stir. Use a potato masher or the like to smash berries to create a uniform, even texture.
- Add lemon juice and stir to combine. Lower heat to medium, and continue to cook mixture until thickened. Place a bit of jam onto a plate. If it does not run and is no longer “juicy,” the mixture is finished.
- Ladle the jam into the jars, leaving ½ inch headspace between the lid and the jar.
- Wipe jars completely and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- Remove jars from water bath and allow to cool completely. Store in a cool, dark place.