Apple Cranberry Crisp
For the filling:
- 3 medium sized apples, peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches of salt
For the topping:
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes + 1 tablespoon of butter for the pan
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Quarter apples lengthwise, then thinly slice. Toss in a large bowl with cranberries, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt until evenly coated.
- Butter an 8-inch baking dish (any shape). Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl until evenly combined. Work in butter with your fingertips until topping is crumbly, with pea-sized chunks.
- Spread the apple mixture in the prepared dish. Sprinkle evenly with topping. Bake until filling i bubbling and topping is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let it cool a little. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, or vanilla custard.