Simple Grain Salad
Chef Lisa Kalabokis
1 cup fine bulgur
1 bunch of cilantro, picked
1 sweet potato, small dice
1⁄2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lemon, juice only
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1⁄4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pour boiling water over bulgur: Pour the water into a bowl with the dry bulgur
and cover. Let sit for 30 minutes, or until grains are tender. Set aside.
2. Prepare salad ingredients: Pick cilantro, chop scallions and sweet potato.
Measure pepitas and cranberries. Set aside.
3. Saute sweet potatoes: In a medium pan, use 1 tablespoon of oil and gently
heat. Add small diced sweet potatoes and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper as you cook.
4. Make vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients and whisk. This will be the dressing
for your salad.
5. Assemble salad: Combine all ingredients in a bowl, saving the ricotta for last
so it doesn’t break up. Add vinaigrette and gently toss. Serve cold.