Angel Food Cake
Anne Kostroski - Crumb
- 15 oz egg whites
- 10.5 oz sugar
- 4.25 oz cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Vanilla to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (standard oven) or 325 degrees (convection oven).
- Sift cake flour and 2 oz. of the sugar together.
- Begin with room temperature egg whites. Beat whites until light and frothy and add the cream of tartar. Then, start addign the sugar in small amounts, allowing for one minute intervals in between additions, until the whites are shiny and stiff. If the whties hold a peak when the whisk is taken off the machine and held upside down, then the whites are ready.
- Transfer whites to a large mixing bowl and once again sift over the cake flour and the remaining sugar. Gently fold in the flour, careuflly making sure to reach the bottom of the bowl to fully incorporate all the ingredients. At this time the vanilla or any any citrus zest can be added.**
- Immediately turn the pan upside down and allow at least 2 hours to cool before unmolding.
The cake will last up to 4-5 days wrapped in a cool environment or in the refrigerator.
**DO NOT spray the Angelfood pan with any pan spray or butter. The pan MUST stay dry in order for the cake to climb the sides of the pan. Bake 20-30min or until a toothpick comes out clean from the cake.