Your guide to local Thanksgiving turkey ordering
Picking your turkey can feel like a big decision—like, on the level of picking a car to buy or an apartment to lease. Okay, maybe not that big of a decision, but your turkey of choice will definitely define your Thanksgiving meal and the week of leftovers that’s sure to ensue.
If you’ve been eyeing the grocery store freezer aisle for your turkey, shiver no longer—pre-order a turkey from one of Green City Market’s vendors! Select from an array of free-range, organic, pasture-raised birds, and support small family farmers while you’re at it. Turkeys are available for pickup at GCM’s Indoor Market at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.
If you happen to forget to pre-order your turkey in time, or you want to break free from turkey tradition this year, there are plenty of other options for meat-lovers and vegans alike.
- Alden Hills Organic Farms: Certified Organic, free-range and pasture-raised. $6.50/lb, ranging between 15-22 lbs. Reserve online here. Available for delivery or pick up at Green City Market.
- Finn’s Ranch: Heritage Breed, Certified Organic, free-range and pasture-raised. $4.95/lb, ranging between 12 to 18 lbs. Reserve online here. Available for pick up at Green City Market’s indoor market on November 23.
- Mint Creek Farm: Certified Organic, grass-fed, free-range and pasture-raised. 9-25 lb turkeys available. Price varies by type. Reserve online here. Available for pick up at Green City Market’s indoor market on November 23.
What to do if you forget to order a turkey in time
Or you if you don’t eat turkey!
- Alden Hills Organic Farms: Certified Organic and pasture-raised. Prime Rib Roasts, beef tenderloin, beef roasts (rump, sirloin tip, top round, chuck roast), whole chickens! Reserve online here. Available for delivery or pick up at Green City Market.
- Avrom Farm: Pasture-raised chicken and pork and dry-aged beef—or for something extra-special, try a marbled pork coppa shoulder steak to really wow your guests.
- Finn’s Ranch: Certified Organic grass-fed beef, pork, chicken, duck, lamb and goat products.
- Kinnikinnick Farm: Certified Organic grass-fed beef and pasture-raised chicken and pork.
- Mint Creek Farm: Certified Organic grass-fed, free-range and pasture-raised. Turkey breasts, wings, drumsticks, and thighs, as well as pork, beef, duck, goat, and lamb. Reserve online here. Available for delivery or pick up at Green City Market.
- Phoenix Bean: Phoenix Bean’s wide selection of inventive (and delicious) tofus and sauces are a perfect alternative to turkey if you’re going meat-free this Thanksgiving or if you just want to switch it up this year.
- River Valley Ranch: Mushrooms abound at River Valley Ranch! Select from several varieties for a hearty and meat-free main.
- Watch: The Kids of Von Linne Make Empanadas!
- Friday, January 17, 2020
- "I don't think most people are aware you can do this": GCM Linking Up for Food Access
- Wednesday, December 18, 2019
- "Edible Education changed my lifestyle and my values": GCM Educating the Next Generation of Eaters
- Friday, December 13, 2019
- All Hail the Tomato: Tomato Bliss' Path to Market
- Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- Find the perfect host gift (or treat yourself) at Green City Market
- Wednesday, November 20, 2019
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »