Chatting with the Chef: Ajay Popli
A native of Oak Brook, Ill., Chef Ajay Popli has worked at Arami since June of 2013. He started as a line cook, was promoted to sous chef and has been the Chef de Cuisine since May of 2015. Prior to joining Arami, he worked at both Sushi Dokku in the West Loop as well as Slurping Turtle. At Arami, Popli’s focus is on using high quality ingredients without obscuring them. He aims at showcasing technique and discipline when he prepares each dish and likes to experiment with new ingredients to make traditional Japanese cuisine more modern. Fortunate to grow up in a household full of good cooks, Popli has always had an interest in food. After graduating from college he accepted a job in sales and quickly realized that his passion was for the culinary industry. When he’s not busy working in the kitchen at Arami, Popli enjoys spending time exploring other restaurants in Chicago, traveling with family and friends and cooking at home. Popli has a Bachelor’s degree in history from Loyola University in Chicago. Don't miss Chef Popli at Green City Market's chef demonstration Saturday 3 at 10:30am.
Talk to vendors and indulge your curiosity. If you see something cool and you don't know what you might do with it, ask the vendor and try it out at home!
Rice! It has so many wonderful applications, from simple snacks to entrees. It makes a meal complete.
- 2018 Holiday Entertaining Guide
- Wednesday, December 19, 2018
- 2018 Holiday Gift Guide
- Wednesday, December 5, 2018
- True or False: Farmers relax all winter
- Tuesday, November 13, 2018
- Blue Corn Enchiladas, Smoked Potato Gnocchi and 20+ fall-inspired dishes at A (Mostly) Veggie Affair
- Wednesday, November 7, 2018
- Watch #GCMVeggieAffair Chefs live on WGN-TV & NBC 5 this week!
- Tuesday, October 30, 2018
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »