Know Your Farmer: Twin Oak Meats
We've started a Know Your Farmer series twice a month to get you more connected with our farmers. We're highlighting Tom and Amy Ifft from Twin Oak Meats (Fairbury, Illinois) for the second installation of our series. They'll be at every indoor market through April.
(Editors note: Starting next market, Twin Oak Meats will be offering a cooked boneless loin in au jus!)
1. Why should people care about supporting local and sustainable producers?
Supporting local farmers also supports the local economy. Anything bought locally will be much fresher than buying something that has been shipped from afar. Sustainable producers take care of the land, ensuring it will be preserved for future generations.
2. How did you become involved in farming?
I was raised on the farm - farming has been in our background for four generations and I always was interested in farming.
3. How did you get involved with Green City Market?
Our friends John & Pat Sondgeroth (Heartland Meats) put us in contact with the Market four years ago.
4. What is your most popular product?
Our bacon, by far.
5. Do you have any special products in the next two months that you'd like to highlight?
For anyone who celebrates Easter, we have our boneless Honey Glazed Spiral Sliced hams and also other types of hams for the holiday.
6. What is your favorite Green City Market experience?
Someone who used to live [near our farm] stopped by our tent, and I thought it was interesting to "reconnect" with someone who now lives in the City and visiting the Green City Market!
7. What's the most important thing Green City Market customers don't know about you?
All of our breakfast and Italian sausages are homemade as we use our own recipes and blend all the seasonings by hand. Also, all of our sausages are preservative-free.
8. What are your future plans for your farm?
To continue raising great pork products and serving our customers as we have the past 11 years.
9. What do you want your last meal on Earth to be?
BBQ ribs on the smoker with all the fixins!
- 2018 Holiday Entertaining Guide
- Wednesday, December 19, 2018
- 2018 Holiday Gift Guide
- Wednesday, December 5, 2018
- True or False: Farmers relax all winter
- Tuesday, November 13, 2018
- Blue Corn Enchiladas, Smoked Potato Gnocchi and 20+ fall-inspired dishes at A (Mostly) Veggie Affair
- Wednesday, November 7, 2018
- Watch #GCMVeggieAffair Chefs live on WGN-TV & NBC 5 this week!
- Tuesday, October 30, 2018
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »