Press Release: Winter Is On Its Way, But Fresh, Sustainable Produce Is Still Available Thanks To Green City Market's Indoor Market
Beginning November 4, neighbors will find fresh, locally-sourced fruits, veggies and prepared foods as Green City Market moves indoors
CHICAGO (November 13, 2017) – As Indian summer days turn blustery, Green City Market (GCM) moves indoors for the winter!
Green City Market’s indoor market provides shoppers with fresh fruits, greens, veggies, root vegetables, meats, cheeses and dairy items, breads, jams, hot sauces, and more throughout the winter months. It is located at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, 2430 N. Cannon Dr. in Lincoln Park, and is open from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. on the following days:
- November 4, 11, 18
- December 2, 9, 16, 23
- January 6, 13
- February 3, 17
- March 3, 17, 31
- April 7, 21, 28
Each Indoor Market features a Chef Demo at 10:30 a.m., Club Sprouts, GCM’s youth program, from 8am until noon, and our Link Matching program.
October 28 marked the last day for Green City Market’s West Loop and Lincoln Park locations. Green City Markets’ three outdoor markets (West Loop, Lincoln Park and Park at Wrigley gave Chicagoans the opportunity to shop and taste fresh, local produce and market-inspired prepared foods over a combined 84 market days this summer.
GCM summertime successes:
- More than 1,500 children participated in GCM’s Club Sprouts Program, which encouraged them to taste new foods and learn more about eating healthy and how food gets to their table.
- 70 chef demos gave attendees ideas for preparing the fresh, seasonal ingredients available at the markets.
- More than 5,814 pounds of waste were composted at GCM sites.
- Link/SNAP, formerly food stamps, was accepted at all Green City Market locations and matched dollar for dollar, up to $15 per market day. Over the summer, $19,131 was spent using Link/SNAP and matching dollars.
- Thanks to the Produce Box, a collaborative program between GCM and Urban Juncture Foundation, more than 250 pounds of produce was distributed to the Bronzeville community. A community who hasn’t access to fresh produce in over two generations.
- 15,000 visitors, including over 1,000 children, visited GCM’s Edible Gardens at the Lincoln Park Zoo, planting the seeds of knowledge, experience, and inspiration to help support a sustainable food system.
Green City Market provides the perfect opportunity for Chicagoans to shop and taste fresh, local produce and market-inspired prepared foods, see chef demonstrations and bring the neighborhood together to support sustainably-grown food from family farms.
Opening day for the 2018 Green City Market Outdoor Season is Saturday, May 5th.
- The official 2018 Chef BBQ lineup is here!
- Friday, May 18, 2018
- The Farm is Coming To The City! Green City Markets Opening Days Announced!
- Monday, March 26, 2018
- Urban Farmer Round-up
- Tuesday, March 13, 2018
- Meet the Women of Green City Market
- Thursday, March 8, 2018
- Come to the Table Dinner: Heal Wrap Up
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Receive weekly updates, invitations to exclusive events, and market news. Browse archive »